While we wish we could celebrate the 24th Annual Race for the Future 5K traditionally this year, we are stepping it up for a new challenge and a FUN way for our community (and beyond) to support classroom grants and scholarships. Join us now for this new twist on an old favorite! Help us reach our community goal of 10 Million Steps for Students!
You know how you sometimes wish you could participate in an event on your own timeframe and in your own way? Well, 2020 has finally brought you good fortune!
This year, Race for the Future participants will have one week to complete one or more activities/steps. It takes approximately 6200 steps to be the equivalent of a 5K, but you can select your time and location to run, walk, jog, skip, meander, dance, prancercise (we gotta see this), mow the lawn, clean the house (really?!), play tennis, ride a bike, golf (without a cart…or not!), swim, jump rope, participate in a rousing Frisbee or Ping Pong game….you get the idea! Once you complete your 6200 steps, record them here to automatically be entered in a drawing for some fun prizes.
We are setting a cumulative community goal of 10 Million steps to be completed in a one-week timeframe from Saturday, Oct. 10 to Saturday, Oct. 17. For one low registration cost, you can count as many steps as you take during that week. Then, login and record your steps so we know how close we are to the 10 Million step goal. AND, you can keep recording your exercise steps ALL WEEK LONG! Each time you record new exercise steps, your name will be entered again into a prize drawing. The more steps you take for students, the more chances you have to win prizes.
Need exercise ideas? Check out this exercise/step conversion chart.
Date: Saturday, October 10 – Saturday, October 17
Virtual Kick-Off: Saturday, October 10 at 8 a.m.
Conclusion: Saturday, October 17, Midnight
Registrants have from Saturday, Oct. 10 to Saturday, Oct. 17 to complete their 5K…or more. Want to do all your steps at once? Fantastic! Would you rather split up your physical activity? That’s GREAT! Want to do a daily activity? Amazing! Your way. Your location. Your timing. You can simply report/update your activity and steps here when you’re done.
What is a virtual 5K?
A virtual race like this one encourages physical activity and wellness and is a self-reporting event. We encourage you to be creative in completing approximately 6200 steps or more in your way and at your location of choice… anytime from Oct. 10 to Oct. 17.
What does Race for the Future benefit?
Race for the Future benefits teachers and students in the LSR7 school district through the Lee’s Summit Educational Foundation and Carrie Foresee Memorial Scholarship.
Do I need to live in Lee’s Summit to participate?
No. We encourage you to share this opportunity with friends and family near and far. Their steps count for local students!
Do I need to run/walk/skip/jump on Saturday morning, Oct. 10?
Not at all. You can select your activity and your location anytime from Sat. Oct. 10 to Sat. Oct. 17. Check out this exercise/step conversion chart for ideas.
Looking for a way to map your course or run one someone else has already mapped?
Check out this resource.
Will I Still Get A Shirt?
ABSOLUTELY! And they are super cool and trendy this year! Packet pick up will be Friday, October 9. Stay tuned for more details on pick-up times, location, etc.
What shirt sizes are available?
Exclusive Race for the Future shirts are available in Youth Small through Adult 3XL.
What is included in the Race packet?
Your race packet will include the exclusive Race for the Future tie-dye t-shirt and other fun treats and surprises!
How do I register?
Click here to register.
How Can I Help?
Register for the Race AND share the event on Social Media! Spread awareness by inviting friends, family, neighbors and co-workers to to come together (in a socially distanced way) to support a cause that is so important for students. Every step you take supports students! Remember to attend the Virtual Kick-Off event on Sat. Oct. 10, 8 a.m.
• Register: Click here to register.
• Pick up your Race Packet: Stansberry Leadership Center, Oct. 9. Stay tuned for details.
• Kick-Off: Tune in on Saturday, Oct. 10 at 8 a.m. for a live kick-off! You’ll have until Oct. 17 to complete your steps!
• Share: Share your selfie from your personal 5K on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram! We encourage you to wear your Race for the Future shirt (new or previous year’s shirt). Be sure to tag the Lee’s Summit Educational Foundation and use #RacefortheFuture when sharing your selfie.
• Get Moving: Run, walk, jog, skip, meander, dance, jazzercize, prancercize (we gotta see this), mow the lawn, clean the house (really?!), play tennis, ride a bike, golf (without a cart…or not!), swim, jump rope, participate in a rousing Frisbee game….you get the idea! Aim for a minimum of 45 minutes of exercise or approximately 6200 steps. Participants will have until Oct. 17 to complete one or more activities/steps.
• Record your steps and report back each day/time here to be entered into a drawing for participating in Race for the Future!